Grounded

Grounded

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Fifth Post - Fit

Once a year a dear friend of mine takes me for a walk. This friend, walks hills regularly, rides her bike, swims, works out at the gym and looks fantastic. In contrast, I walk the halls at work when I go to pick up students.The halls are flat! Last year we went on a 10K walk up at Silver Star Mountain. She assured me there wouldn't be hills - I believed her. A mountain with no hills, not likely. Anyhow we had a wonderful walk. Her dog, complete with bell, accompanies us and she carries bear spray....although I'm always reassured that it's not bear season. So this year, it took until yesterday to team up for our walk. This was billed as a medium walk with no hills (ha, I didn't fall for that this year.) We headed out to a park in town and our goal was to walk down (there's a hint) to Kal Lake and back. I've already mentioned that I am far from being a regular fitness walker, however, I don't like to turn down a challenge, nor miss an opportunity to spend time with my friend, so off we went. The first 20 minutes were all uphill. Not a little hill, a big hill. I like to talk when I walk and when I walk with Mrs. C, I can't talk. I can barely breath. Hmmm, maybe that's why she takes me on these walks. So I can practice listening.
At any rate I made it up the hill and what a reward was waiting. The most spectacular view of one of God's most beautiful creations - Kalmalka Lake. The walk down to the lake was a breeze. Conversation was good, energy was good. However, what goes down, must go up! After a brief reprise at the Lake front, it was time to turn around. Mrs. C had calculated 1 hour 15 for the 7 km walk, so off - or should I say, up, we went. I won't go into details, about gasping for air, about sheepishly asking for a rest - more than once,  but I made it. Exercise and friendship, the best combination for fitness. By the way, it's now the day after and I feel great!
Apparently we're heading on a 40K bike ride next year - with no hills.

What did you do to promote personal fitness this summer?
CLPCS

Kalmalka Lake, Vernon, BC 

Silver Star Mountain (2009)

2 comments: