Grounded

Grounded

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Fourteenth Post - Five

Today at 11am precisely, Jim and I will have been married for five years.  Five years ago, as I waited outside the ministers office with my husband to be and two close friends, I remember vividly the fear.......I know, fear before a new marriage, not exactly the typical feeling. Jim and I agonized about the perfect wedding. Life experience told us that 'perfect for everyone' was impossible, so we settled on 'perfect for us' and acceptable for everyone else. We decided to have a very small - one minister, one groom, one bride, two friends - ceremony. Ironically, we were married in what was Jim's former office at VAC. Two days later we had a reception for our family and a few friends. Then we parted, Jim to live in Vancouver and me to live in Vernon for the next year. I chuckle in remembrance.
Since that day, much has changed.. We now live together in the lower mainland. I finished my MA in Counselling and am working as a school counsellor, with a private business 'on the side'. Jim has been welcomed back into pastoral ministry from his denomination. My Reverend is currently working on completing a Masters of Divinity degree and going to school full time.
Jim's mom passed away a little over a year ago. She lived to be 94 years old.....what a lady! We've welcomed three more grandchildren into our family bringing the total to seven. Life is BUSY!!!! We continue to love each other deeply....

           My vows to Jim.......(maybe I'll post Jim's on year ten)

                  

  It's hard to believe that I’m here standing with you exchanging wedding vows.  It’s been a long journey. You’ve been a big part of my life for so long and for much of that time you’ve been my best friend. You, more than anyone, know how I resisted the idea of getting married, again. So why am I here today? I need you to know how deeply I am committed to being your friend, your companion, and your wife. I promise to love you with all my heart and when things get tough, I am still committed to love you and be your wife. Both of us know that life doesn’t always turn out the way we plan. Neither of us could have anticipated our marriage, yet here we are today. I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t know how much you love me and how trustworthy you are. You’ve already clearly shown me those qualities. I hear and see how you care for your mom and your children and I know again that I can cling to your care and love. I also want you to know that I am committed to love your children, and your grandchildren. Our home is a place where they will always be welcome. In that same vein, I trust you to love my children and future grandchildren and I am already assured that you will make them a welcome part of our lives.

            I love  that you love me even though you know me so well. I cherish that you encourage me to pursue things that are important to me. Please know that I will do the same for you. I don’t need you to be anything other than the person you are. If your interests change, I promise to encourage and support you. I promise to remind you to chase down your dreams. The ones you have now and the ones that are to come. My prayer for you is that you will be happy, content, safe and confident of my love, loyalty and life long support. I am so happy to become your wife and have you be my husband. To be with you as long as I live is my solemn vow to you.  

Happy Anniversary!

ClCPS

Grow old with me!  The best is yet to be…”
                     Robert Browning
 

Waiting to get married

OK, let's do this!

Saying our vows




 

 

 


2 comments:

  1. Oh well This made me cry.lol
    This is so nice and I hope he wrote something equally as nice for you cause you deserve it.
    It is good to have your best friend at your side as you walk through life.God only knows how difficult times can be and you are blessed to have good family and friends to stand by you as is he, the man who chose you to become his wife.
    God Bless you both :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your lovely comments. Truth be told, his vows were outstandingly meaningful! They still make me cry. Maybe he'll let me post them next year.
    We have been blessed!

    ReplyDelete