Grounded

Grounded

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Twenty Second Post – Review


The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
HARPERCOLLINS PUBLISHERS | September 7, 1988 | Trade Paperback

Hey! Unto you a child is born!
The Herdmans are absolutely the worst kids in the history of the world. They lie and steal and smoke cigars (even the girls). They talk dirty, hit little kids, cuss their teachers, set fire to Fred Shoemaker's old broken-down toolhouse, and take the name of the Lord in vain. So no one is prepared when the Herdmans invade church one Sunday-and decide to take over the annual Christmas pageant.

None of them has ever heard the Christmas story before. Their interpretation -- the Wise Men are a bunch of dirty spies and Herod needs a good beating-- has a lot of people up in arms. But the actual pageant is full of surprises for everyone, starting with the Herdmans themselves! Chapters/Indigo

 

Without a doubt this is one my top five favourite Christmas novels. I first stumbled upon it when it was made into a TV movie starring Loretta Swit and Jackson Davies. It was filmed in my hometown of Vancouver, BC and it immediately became one of our Christmas staples. Years later, when my children were a bit older I found it in novel form. I was out of this world with delight. I believe I was teaching grade 7 at the time and read it to my class during that Christmas season…..a tradition that carried on until I moved from classroom teacher to counsellor. I never could get through the reading without stopping to control my quivery voice and impending tears. I recall one student (who could have fit nicely with the Herdman clan) scooping up the box of classroom Kleenex and bringing it to this weepy teacher. "Here, Mrs. O. I think you need these!" How fitting that this story brought out such kindness in my student. If you haven't read this book and have a spare hour or two, it is so worth the time. It is a treasure. Many local theatre groups have performed this lovely story during Christmas and it is still my hope (albeit a fading hope as I move nearer to retirement) to have one of my schools present this story as their Christmas production.

Merry Christmas and….
Hey! Unto you a child IS born!
Carol (as in Christmas)

My third Book for the Holiday Reading Challenge 2010  and Christmas Spirit Reading Challenge 2010

2 comments:

  1. Wow ! You made me cry already. lol
    I think thats a great book and I'll recommend it on my blog. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this one, but I will keep an eye out for it now, for sure!

    _ happy dejaVu

    ReplyDelete