Grounded

Grounded

Friday, February 18, 2011

Thirty Seventh Post - Duped!

Aaughhh!!!.......I've been duped. Months ago I received a poster  about a 'Train the Trainer' 2 day workshop sponsored by our teacher's union.  I hemmed and hahhed.  It was allegedly worth $2400.00 and included breakfast and lunch. I googled the website to find out more about the presentation and the facilitators. The purpose of the workshop was to equip us with the skills to teach our teens how to be safe. Sounds pretty good, eh? The  website looked legit, the facilitators were suitably credentialed, and most importantly it seemed to be 100% relevant to the demographics of my students.

Over the thirty-one years I have been in education (now counselling), I have become extremely cautious about the workshops I choose to attend. While some have been fireworks......many, (sadly enough) have been duds! I snooped around, asked some questions and was satisfied that this training would be worth missing one day of school plus one professional development day.

PRESS THE 'BIG MISTAKE' BUTTON!!!!!!!!!! What was clearly advertised (by our union) as a Train the Trainer was not a train the trainer at all. Huge disappointment! I already had the update ready for  my resume. Equally frustrating was the biased and somewhat tiresome, albeit sincere, preachy posturing of the presenter. While the intent was honourable and I am certain some  groups this presenter works with  benefit greatly from  this training, there was little for me to take back and use at my school. What took up a whole day, could have been shared in at most two hours!


I could rant on, but that's not the entire point of this post. I was duped!  Had I paid the registration myself I would have asked for a refund: something I've not done yet, but am more likely to do as my dollars for professional development become more scarce.


Standing on my soapbox I shout........."DON'T OVERSELL YOUR WORKSHOPS. DON'T MISLEAD ME IN ORDER TO GET ME TO ATTEND WHAT YOU'RE PROMOTING!!!!!


Stepping off of my soapbox I say, don't take up my time with your biased agenda unless you can substantiate your position with updated research and relevant facts! My time, my life is too valuable. Period!


Perhaps you can feel the emotion---yikes is it anger?  in my rant. That's largely because I'm committed to attend Day Two today! Because I am a 'nice' person....something this workshop preaches at me to let go of, I will attend with the hope that I come away with something useful. If there is more male bashing, media bashing, parent bashing, along with the 'world is so bad, and getting worse', I shall be forced to pick up my nice self and leave.

UPDATE re: Day Two...AUGHHHH!  Enough said.

Tell me about a great workshop you attended - I need my spirit lifted!
CLPCS


A happy place - near Aberdeen, Scotland

No comments:

Post a Comment