Grounded

Grounded

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Fourtieth Post - Rest

Today's post is part of  JamWithMeThursdays over at Faith Barista. My first. This week's topic is rest. The only instruction was to keep it real….so real I shall be! (along with a good dose of random)

I find rest when I am in my 'God Room'. My 'God Room' is the place where I can 'be': no doing necessary. Sadly I don't get there often enough. You'd think I'd find rest in God's house, aka Church, but the House is way too busy. In the Room – there is peace, there is rest. 
 
One hopes that with age comes wisdom. My wisdom has convinced me that rest is essential for my well-being. Sabbath-rest; God's rest. God knew from the outset what we required. It is essential. Rest begets restoration.

He restores my soul.
In my 'God Room', my soul is restored, recharged, rebalanced.

Writing about rest is difficult, because almost everything I want to say is about doing, about working at it, about achieving it….do, do, do. Rather than be, be, be!

This I know: when I make the time, carve out the time, purpose in my heart to go and be in my God Room, God meets me there. Because He is already there. He waits for me to join him. As I settle; put away distractions (blogs, Facebook, novels, work, cleaning, mothering, grandmothering – you get the idea), I am able to be still. Be still in His presence. To let His strength flow through me. I do nothing, yet I come away recharged. Recharged with peace. It is a blessed place to be. 

I rest out of obedience; yet garner love.
       I rest out of need; am blessedly refreshed.
                I rest out of desire; my soul is restored!


My life is better when I practise rest. There is a delight in the paradox that as I am; as I 'be', I am my best.


Our prayer garden - a place of rest

You may wonder where exactly my God Room might be. It is within. It travels with me. It is the place of calm, of stillness that is at my core. It is the place in my soul where I connect with God. I'm not sure that my reverend would endorse my theology, but he can't argue with my experience.

Where do you find rest?
CLPCS
“9 There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; 10 for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works,[a] just as God did from his. 11 Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience”   Hebrews 4:9-11 (New International Version, ©2011)
http://www.faithbarista.com/

9 comments:

  1. I love that you find your rest in God! And how God refreshes and loves you when you rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Katie. Rest is good but resting in God is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful thoughts. Often so many of us are so busy with life we get impatient with being still and don't get enough rest. Sometimes we should all just stop and listen. God may be trying to get ahold of us.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lee,
    Thanks for stopping by. It's taken me a LONG time to learn to be still. Seems odd that something that sounds so simple can require such discipline and practice. It's well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I rest out of obedience; yet garner love.
    I rest out of need; am blessedly refreshed.
    I rest out of desire; my soul is restored!"

    I need to remember this. I know it, but I need to remember it.

    So happy to jam with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Inner rest is the best. So glad you shared in the Jam :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sheryl and Jeri, thanks for stopping by. It's a good thing to connect with other Jammers. I'm so thankful I stumbled upon Faith Barista. I'm enjoying reading many new insights about rest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi. It's me again.
    God's word says "My house shall be a house of prayer." Also "You shall find rest in My house." You can look up the scriptures yourself but the message in those two scriptures can be trusted and to tell the truth amazes me. How often we need rest and neglect to go to the one place we are bound to find it. God bless you this week. Geoff.

    ReplyDelete