Grounded

Grounded

Friday, March 25, 2011

Forty Fifth Post - ER


ER or Emotional Rest. Clinically  it can be measured, albeit subjectively, by a sense of well being or congruence; heart, soul, body and mind all in balance.

To be truthful, this is my greatest area of struggle. Perhaps the term moody rings a bell? Apparently that was/is me? In my lofty moments I congratulate myself on having moved beyond mere mortal moodiness. I am authentic, I am true to myself and my feelings…I am what you see. Hmm, then why am I still so weary?

Emotional rest equals peace.

"Thou wilt keep him (her) in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee" Isaiah 26:3. The challenge is keeping my mind stayed on Him. Not just in the crisis, but also in the after math of the crisis.

 In a practical sense I measure my ER by my level of weariness. Am I sleeping? Am I eating well? Am I drinking enough water? Am I exercising? Am I playing? Am I engaging in fun? When I stray too far from my center point; that sweet spot of congruence, my alignment shifts and all is NOT well with my soul.

Things I have learned about ER:
    When you're in it you notice
      When you don't have it you notice
        It starts from within and moves outward
           It starts from without and moves inward
             It takes work
               It is effortless once you're there
                 It is a gift
                     It has a cost
                        It is free
                             It is freeing

It is a paradox! We think we're in it, we have it yet if we don't pay attention we lose it. The cost of not discovering and then practising emotional rest is great: depression, anxiety, the dark night of the soul.

"Come unto me all that are weary and loaded down with burdens
and I will give you rest", Matthew 11:28

My word picture finds me bobbing up and down, frantic in a body of water; a lake, a pool, an ocean. There is no end to the water. I am going to drown. Then that small voice, the one inside says, 'put your foot down'. In the midst of panic I hear the whisper and ever so cautiously I put my feet down, one foot, one toe at a time. And miracle of miracles, wonder of wonders, I touch the ground. And the storm that was raging stops!

PEACE
Trouble is still surrounding me,
but I have my feet firmly planted on His foundation.
The storm may still rage,
but I have touched the ground, HIS ground!
The God of the universe, of all creation has directed my feet
to His firm foundation
and my soul can be at rest.
That moment, that feeling, that thought………
This is my place of emotional rest!

The song 'It is Well With my Soul'  written in 1873 by Horatio Spafford has always spoken to me, more so met me in my place of emotional rest. Click here to listen to a simplistically beautiful version of the song and read anew the circumstances that gave life to these anointed words.

Life can be chaotic, trials will come. But
 we have this blessed assurance that
 we are not the chaos,
 we are not the trial.
 We are loved and our souls can be at rest.

Surrender and ~REST~ 
CLPCS

PS My spring break week is coming to an end. I am busy with my four year old, delightful and energetic granddaughter. Kudos to all moms with young children at home who have time to blog....and without mistakes. You are amazing!

Today's post is part of  JamWithMeThursdays  (yikes, I'm a day late, again) over at Faith Barista

8 comments:

  1. So true.
    People need to find time to play.
    All work and no play is not good for the soul nor spirit nor mind.
    Your work also must be playful
    When people see you at ease they ease up as well and open up more.
    And then they can be helped more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you nailed it with your paradox statement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your encouragment ladies!
    Lady - I am always blessed by your comments.
    Katie - I tried to repsond on your blog, but for some reason I couldn't, so I'll say here that I appreciated your comments on emotional rest.
    Sheryl - the world is small, I read the account of your 2002 evacuation. We followed the news of that evacuation as best we could here in Canada. Dave and Denise were from my home church in Vernon. I was priviledged(and saddend) to play at Dave's memorial service in Vernon, BC. Your account left my heart pounding. It is good to read about where you've gone since then. I will continue to follow your posts. Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I know too well that state of emotional unrest where it seems I can't find the stable, calming ground. But the Lord has reached out to me and offered His peace and joy and true rest. It did come with a price. It did not come overnight but was a long journey in itself of Him showing me that faith and rest are not based on feelings. He gave me the grace to make the choices that eventually brought the peace I so longed for.
    Praying you'll find that delicate balance,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  6. "It Is Well With My Soul" - one of my favorites. We sang it in church recently. Which reminds me, it's time to start getting ready for church soon! Thanks for stopping in over at LightenUp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the verse from Isaiah you shared. Enjoyed reading your thoughts on rest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,
    I just discovered your blog from the A to Z Blog Challenge list. I love your posting on Emotional Rest. It is timely. And I feel lucky to have found your blog.

    I began blogging in July 2010 - as a method to cope with my life - as a caregiver for my 85 year old mother. I mostly thought of it as a way to express myself within a life that is pretty narrow in scope. The blog became more than that. I now find joy in many things that formerly I would have overlooked. I also ponder questions and look for other points of views from my readers. Blogging has given me way more than I have given to it.

    I am looking forward to the upcoming challenge and I am very interested in your postings so I will follow.

    thanks
    Elaine
    Retired Knitter
    http://mynext20yearsofliving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete