Grounded

Grounded

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sixty Second Post - Quince

In 2004, my daughter and I, were overcome with the urge to move. We  had the good fortune to stumble upon our perfect home.  The house itself was rather ordinary, but the yard was a diamond in the rough. Being a born and raised city girl I had little to no knowledge about gardening. No one, most of all me, ever dreamed I'd fall in love with plants, shrubs, and trees, oh my! My 1/2 acre yard is in actuality a garden with a variety of rooms. Each room, has its own personality and slowly, the various room are being named. It is a process that isn't being taken lightly. 

Being Q day  my mind immediately went to quince. One of the treasures uncovered beneath a plethora of weeds was a beautiful quince shrub. As best as I have been able to determine, it is a Japanese Quince. It has the most incredible, beautiful, spectacular apricoty/peach coloured blossoms. After the flowers are gone, the quince shrub grows a type of fruit that can be best described as conjoined green (and later yellow) crab apples. I've never picked or used the fruit. I have plans to eventually experiment with quince jelly and possibly quince wine. My quince is by far one of my most intriguing shrubs.

My quince shrub in early May 2010   
 

A photo of Japanese Quince - the blossoms

Flowering Quince (not mine)

A closeup of flowering quince

Quince - the fruit
Happy Q Day!
CLPCS

7 comments:

  1. How very cool - I did not know that Quince was a flowering bush...it is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden sounds great. Would love to see more pics of it! The Quince bush is gorgeous! Great pick for Q!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have taught me a new word today, thank you.

    RJRDaydreamer

    ReplyDelete
  4. The apricoty/peach colored blossoms are beautiful. A great description! My garden consists of cacti and herbs at the moment. The tomato and hot pepper plants are currently rooting and should pop out of the dirt in a few weeks. My garden brings me joy and calm in my crazy, creative writing world. Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all your comments. It is such a joy to take a peek at my inbox and find new and returning friends who have taken the time to leave me a note. I absolutely adore my garden and once this challenge is over, I shall devote a post or two (or three) to the delights and treasures that have been discovered/uncovered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so pretty and a pleasure to grow I am sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos of beautiful plants. We purchased 12 azalea plants and planted them. We have planted over 23 trees on our 3/4 acre land (plus all the trees that were already there). The sight of them makes me very happy.

    ReplyDelete