Grounded

Grounded

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Sixty Ninth Post - X

In addition to teaching ukulele, I also incorporated the Orff method of music education. One of the most requested activity during Orff lessons was playing on the xylophones.

 We had bass (biggest), alto (medium sized) and soprano (smallest) 
xylophones at my school.
                                      



To help the students remember which were the xylophones as opposed to metallophones or glockenspiels, I taught them this ditty:

Xylophones have wooden bars, wooden bars, wooden bars.
Xylophones have wooden bars, rosewood bars.


Believe it or not, the kids loved the tune and it helped them remember
which instrument to sit behind. FYI, metallophones
have metal bars and glockenspiels have tiny, shiny bars.

Those were good times!
Happy X Day!
CLPCS


7 comments:

  1. Say, that is very interesting, and I've never seen so many xylophones in one place. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great photo and great pic of an "X" word. Good for you!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love xylophones, and the picture with the kids playing is adorable! Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choice of X. I think you're the only one. That is so neat that kids are learning xylophones. I like your blog.
    Manzanita@Wannabuyaduck

    ReplyDelete
  5. X-ray and xylophone are the staples of every ABC picture book I've ever read. If I could have come up with a good xylophone post, I would have gone with it! Now I'm thinking I should have gone x-ray.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that'a a lot of xylophones. Not a word I could say 5 times fast

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought about using xylophone too, but had nothing interesting to say. You made this topic interesting!

    ReplyDelete