Grounded

Grounded

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Seventy Seventh Post - Wondering

Today in Church our pastor voiced a question I had not previously considered. Having spent well over fifty something  years attending church, there is little I haven't considered. Our reverend (not to be confused with MY reverend), was preaching from Psalms 15. Part way through the preach my thoughts were moving away from the Psalms to........

It's raining, again,
What fun having my dear friend visit all weekend,
Does my knee ever hurt,
I wonder if C's new tattoo still hurts,,
I hope the middle child is having a relaxing visit with his bride-to-be's family in Ontario, 
What did the oldest son mean by his facebook status,
I haven't spoken to any of the grandchildren for almost a week,
my stomach is growling, what should we make for lunch

.........ALL this to explain why I wasn't exactly listening wholeheartedly to the preach. Thas was until PB (Pastor Brian) started quoting from an old hymn, The Solid Rock 

Yikes, PB was getting pretty animated. He's not ordinarily a loud preacher, but he was really getting into the message! I was shaken out of my random, yet entertaining thoughts. My mind was pinged back to the preach. It's an old hymn. I've sung it and played it hundreds of times. Today I experienced verse three with a new perspective.  My mind went from wandering to wondering.


Pastor B simply asked this question:

When you pray,
when you talk to God,
when you open your heart to God,
what do you see on His face?

My brain came to a slamming halt! What! God has a face? In my prayers, God has ever and always been faceless. The point of the question was to help determine how we view God. Is He caring, judging, arms crossed condemning? Is He finger pointing? Is He just waiting for you in prayer so He can slam you with a list of should haves and should haven'ts? I kept searching my memory; there must be a face on my God.

Nope, nothing, NO face.

Then that sweet place of peace came. You know the kind that brings joy, delight and a presence that connects our hearts with His. New personal revelation; when I pray I see God's Hands! They are open and reaching towards me. They have the feel of love, of acceptance, of patience. They are not the hands of One ready to chastise or punish, but the hands of One connecting with Love.
Please don't misunderstand....I am well aware of areas that need growth and correction. But in His presence I find peace and acceptance. When I open my heart, He connects with my heart. My sin was conquered at the cross! 

His oath, His covenant, His blood
Support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.

So today, church was a good thing! I had a new revelation. The earth didn't shake around me, but there was a loud Amen in my heart! I'm pretty sure God is holding that Amen in His hands!

What about you? 
When you pray, when you talk to God, when you open your heart to God, what do you see on His face?
CLPCS


The Solid Rock
by
Edward Mote (words)
and William Bradbury (music)

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.
When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.
His oath, His covenant, His blood
Support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.
When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found;
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.
Refrain:
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand
.

10 comments:

  1. I love the image of God's hands when you pray! WOW -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just because the Pastor said 'face', he didn't necessarily mean with cheeks, eyes, nose etc. A face in our minds is the point of communication with another. It's where we look for a response, for understanding and for empathy. The face which the Pastor was referring to does that and much, much more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brain works like that quite often : ) That is one of my favorite hymns!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The Word of Life"
    In the beginning was the Word:
    the Word was with God
    and the Word was God.
    He was with God in the beginning.
    Through him all things came to be,
    not one thing had its being but through him.
    All that came to be had life in him.
    and that life was the light of men,
    a light that shines in the dark,
    a light that darkness could not overpower.
    (John1: 1-5)

    I can't see him at all. I can just feel his holiness envelope me and it feels warm and soft. In that feeling of his glory, my brain is at peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I pray, I´m like you. I don´t really see His face. I "feel" His presence and His peace, but I don´t need a face.
    Seeing His open Hands is good. They are always there for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful song
    thanks for sharing it =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely topic to ponder: how we "see" Christ. I like all the answers. We "feel" more than we "see" which I think is another way of "seeing."

    Thanks for stopping by my blog on Tuesday to congratulate me on the launching of my memoir.
    Ann Best, Memoir Author

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi. You know, we are reading the book of Colossians at our home cell. We were all asked to read the first chapter and give our interpretation next week. Well chapter one verse 16 says that God created the whole universe for his son to enjoy with his friends. (My interpretation) Jesus is my friend and God is his father and the whole universe is in his back garden. So what do I see when I pray? A friend.
    God bless you my friend, love Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the image of God's hands too. It's true so many times I let my mind drifting away.....but looks like this day's message was a great gift for you.
    When I am praying I see God as the silence that is around and the face of Love, telling me I can improve but that also He forgives me and loves me.
    Through prayer we get closer to God, some will see God a certain way, others won't but what counts is the joy we get out of it.
    Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for all of your comments. I'm always refreshed to hear about how we all 'see' and 'hear' God a bit differently. He has such a unique and wonderful way of making Himself known. Blessings to all!

    ReplyDelete