Grounded

Grounded

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Seventy Sixth Post - Tattoo


My beautiful (and only) daughter is getting a tattoo today. This is her second. She has a tasteful tattoo of the word 'faith' on the inside of her wrist. It's a lovely delicate reminder of.....well, of faith. I like it!



Her existing tattoo
One; one referring to meher mother, clearly and absolutely thinks that one tattoo  is quite sufficient in terms of inking a  body. Apparently the daughter thinks otherwise. She's warned me for months, perhaps even years, that she's wanted something more. I have consistently whined at her to wait, hoping she'd eventually change her mind. Nope, this kid is stubborn!
Mom (me) said,
"Think about it."
"Tattoos are permanent, longer than some marriages."
"Have you seen saggy skin with tats?"
"You'll get tired of it."
"You have such beautiful alabaster skin, why would you mark it up?"
"If you get a tattoo I'll never give you another cent!!!! "
"Well, I hope you'll never need an MRI."
And lastly, to no avail,  "Does your father know? "
"Wait until your father finds out!!!"

All my cajoling fell upon deaf ears. May 14th, was marked on the calendar and this morning her oldest brother,  took her to have the deed done. He's posted facebook pictures of the work in progress.


Yikes, it's taking up most of her upper arm.

Hmmm, is she gritting her teeth?
I've cropped  part of the pictures because my little princess is looking rather ill. I hope the pain will be worth it. It's not that I don't like tattoos. Some of them are quite exquisite works of art. But does my daughter need to be the canvas. I figure I've done a pretty darn good job of this mothering thing. My kids and I really communicate. It is clear that I love them, they love me. I trust them to make good choices. I trust that they are able to live with the consequences of their choices. So, while I'm not thrilled about Princess getting inked; it's not illegal, immoral, or life threatening, so I shall gleefully exclaim my delight when the finished product; which covers half of her left arm, is unveiled.



  
  This tattoo is getting inked  
.....onto this arm!

BIG SIGH!!!! Daughter 2 - Mother 0

Do you ever have difficulty accepting your grown child's choices?
CLPCS

19 comments:

  1. You are such a good mom!!! I'm proud of you Carol! Your post really touched me - I only hope that one day, should a similar situation happen to me, I might respond with the same grace and love as you have shown. So...when are you getting one?☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks Tanya. Funny you should ask about my tat! I've often thought of getting TLC (to represent my offspring) somewhere on this old body. Perhaps if little Missy decides on a third I'll go with her and roll up my sleeves (or pant leg)!
    BTW, when's your next trip, I really miss your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure it's hard, but you did well not to make a rift in your relationship over a tattoo. There's nothing I can think of big enough to break a relationship with a child. Good on ya, Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Betty. She's a great kid and you are so right, this is not worth making a rift over.
    @Lady - thanks for your comments. Truth be told, now that it's done I'm not upset. As long as we can keep it hidden from her Grandma, all will be well. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya .. kids - I don't have them .. but I kind of agree to find her whole arm covered in a permanent tattoo is a bit much .. I wonder if she'll ever regret it ... too late now - admire and let her be .. life's too short .. and that arm is hers!!

    have a good week - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I´m with you on the tattoo thing. Up till now, I´ve been able to "hold off" my daughters in doing it. Hopefully they´ll be over it soon. I just can´t see the beauty in them, but I agree, it´s their body and what they decide is up to them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hilary and Betty - thanks for your comments. My daughter is a wonderful and beautiful girl. I've encouraged my kids to be individuals and when it's all said and done, I respect her and the thought she put into this whole process. Her brother has a tat on his arm, I don't even notice it anymore when I look at him. I love all my kids to bits. No tattoo will change that. Thanks again, for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When my daughter turned 19 she inked what I think is a giant tatoo of a crown on her hip. All I can think of is the burge king slogan, "Have it your way", ughhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucky for my mother, Hypoglycemia prevents me from ever getting any ink on my body. She more protests when I decide to move to various parts of the country, so I suppose feel blessed your child is near :) And don't worry, in the end, although we won't admit it; we know you're always right!
    Ava

    ReplyDelete
  10. When my son got a tattoo, I was less than thrilled, but he was a good kid, and that mattered more. He's now a wonderful man, husband, and father to a spectacular little boy. A few years later, my daughter wanted a little row of daisies--and I designed them.

    Last year on Mother's Day, that same daughter, now a happy wife and wonderful mother to two beautiful and brilliant children, got a tattoo along the outer edge of her right foot...and I, age 48 at the time, got a matching one. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ava - it's reassuring to hear tha perhaps our children know we're right. I am blessed to have my children close by!
    Word Nerd - thanks for the lovely and encouraging comment. What a great Mother's day celebration! Sounds like you have a wonderful family. You sound like a fabulous mother!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely story! I enjoy reading how parents react when children decide to do something them don't approve or agree with.
    As I experienced quite difficult months with my parents not tolerating my relationship and my decision to get married.
    I am sure it is hard to be parents but reading a story like yours help me to know that I can be, when the time comes, a mum like you. You're great and I send to you all my best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marie - what a lovely comment. Thank you. There have been bumps along the way, sometimes they've felt more like land mines, but I love my children deeply and am very proud of each of them. Thank you so much for your best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perhaps I am old fashioned, but I hate tatoos.. I have two daughters and one has a tatoo. She was 36yrs old when she got it, but when I see it I shrink.. they are expensive, and as you stated, look ugly when the skin ages and no longer is nice and tight. But, your daughter will only learn by experience. I hope she never regrets it. When I was 16yrs I got my ears pierced, my mother hated it and still does even though I am now in my sixties, so we never please everyone. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would never want a tattoo. I thought they were cool when I was a little kid, but fortunately, I didn't get one because now I really don't like them at all!

    ReplyDelete
  16. At the ripe old age of 65, my husband got his first tattoo. I was quite shocked until I saw the end results It was two lions with our twins name beneath the heads in memory of. Now he feels as if he has them with him always.

    I bet your daughter adores you because you allow her to be who she is. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. All of my daughters have tattoos. I'm not thrilled about it since I just don't get this whole tattoo craze, but they are all good girls and successful at what they're doing in life so I have a lot to be thankful for.


    Lee
    Wrote By Rote

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have 2 tattoos, and although I don't have any children of my own, the girl I have mentored for several years just turned 18. I couldn't help but get a squirmy uneasy feeling when she announced she was gonna get a tattoo.

    I don't regret my tattoos, but somehow its different thinking of her getting one. I know I can't stop her, so I just hope I can help her make a wise choice in the kind of tattoo that she gets.

    ReplyDelete