Grounded

Grounded

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Eighty First Post - Timing

We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps." ~Proverbs 16:9

Two of my Facebook friends posted Proverbs 16:9 as their Facebook status yesterday. Two unrelated friends. I realize this is a rather popular verse but the coincidence caused me to pause and reflect. Could there be a message here for me? I have been restless at work. While my work is challenging, and I have a fulfilling career, I still find myself craning my neck, looking for another; perhaps better, path. Which way should I go?

June is the time of year when our pension information is sent to us. My earliest reduced retirement date is August 1, 2011. My earliest unreduced date is July 1, 2013. Reduced/unreduced is somewhat misleading. I worked part time for nineteen years after my children were born therefore my unreduced will really always be reduced. However, I made the choice to work part time deliberately because while I knew I needed to work, I also wanted to have time at home with my children. That balance worked for me. Now, after ten years of full time work; the last five as a school counsellor, I find I'm once again looking for change. What direction should I take? Should I move? Stay here? Change schools? Retire early?


I can be easily overcome by choices. I don't often go to the Marble Slab Creamery, not because I don't love ice cream, but because it's too hard to decide what flavour I want. What if I choose the wrong one? Far too often I settle on ordinary. Please don't get me wrong. I have anything but an ordinary life. I have a  remarkably blessed life.

 It was another intense week. As the end of the school year gets closer, students, staff and parents get more and more. . . well, let's just leave it at uptight! (me included). Deadlines, final exams, teenage hormones (I'm at a middle school) are in full force. It's crazy! Crazy good and just plain crazy. So, the question is; should I stay or should I go? And that brings me back to Proverbs.

What a timely reminder. My steps are ordered by God. I am where He wants me to be. I'm not stuck there. I have the option to take steps elsewhere, but I'm committed to the belief that He will direct (and protect) my steps. So, thank you to my dear Facebook friends. Your status had an impact!

We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps." ~Proverbs 16:9...

Who directs your steps?
CLPCS

4 comments:

  1. When I read that verse I think of my health. Too quickly it can be taken for granted and when we´re sick everything changes. We plan to do such and such and then bang! someone gets sick and all is up to God then. I¨m thinking of two of our friends, who have recently both been diagnosed with cancer. They are both close to our age, so it really hit home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so timely for me! We have all these things in the works - my agent trying to find a publisher for my book, trying to sell our house so we can buy an RV and travel - but nothing is moving forward. So I have to remember to be here, now, and to have faith that God is protecting me. That delays are for my best good, that God will bring it all together at the the best possible time for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having spent much of my working life in part-time employment, I understand about a reduced, un-reduced pension. But we've been careful with our money, have few needs or desires, and so get along on even our reduced income.

    Blessings and Bear hugs as you contemplate the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betty - I'll include your friends in my prayers.
    Melissa - This verse is so meaningful yet sometimes, the faith and trust to believe and accept God's truth is difficult. Blessing to you on your journey!
    Rob - In all likely hood I'll wait until 2013 to retire. I'm thankful that I'm in a job that provides a pension.

    ReplyDelete