Grounded

Grounded

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Ninety First Post - Significance

Yesterday I turned fifty five. I now qualify for a Seniors discount at Zellers, Rona and Denny's. Ten percent off is nothing to sneeze at! 

My reverend and I had tickets to the Vancouver Whitecaps soccer match but it was cancelled because of a soaking wet pitch. Not to be left home sulking we headed out to take a peek through the PNE prize home. Each year at the Pacific National Exhibition a fabulous house is built on site and a lucky someone wins it at the end of the fair. The house was grand. I shall buy my requisite tickets at the end of August, closer to the draw.


From the prize home we made our way to Robson Street to window shop. We walked and I was overcome by all the incredible summer sales. We had to buy something. Look at all the money we'll save. Look at these deals!!!! My reverend strolled patiently beside me ever the calming force. I was noticing many were wearing some pretty groovy gumboots. Very necessary for Vancouver rain. My beloved found and bought me a pair. Gumboots in July! Woohoo!

My new groovy gumboots!


By early evening we arrived at a lovely restaurant where my daughter and her friend met us for my birthday dinner. The girls and I shared a bottle of one of my favorite wines; Freudian Sip from Therapy Vineyards. Delicious! Naturally we had some food as well.

                                                                                                                 
At some point during the evening, most likely while we were waiting for the girls to arrive for dinner, my reverend asked: "What is the most significant thing you've learned in fifty five years?"

"I haven't learned 'it' yet," was my pithy response. Upon further reflection, I realized that indeed I have learned many valuable truths, ideas, things, along my journey. Here are ten, in no particular order.

Ten Significant Things I've Learned in Fifty Five Years of Life:
  1. Relationships are important and do not develop on their own. They take time and effort.
  2. I'm not always right and that's OK!
  3. Sometimes it's better to shut up and walk away.
  4. People will not always understand me. I can live with that. 
  5. My children need me just as much now as they did when they were babies. Often that need is to pray. (Refer also to number 3.)
  6. My faith; my God is unwavering and sustaining. His faithfulness is new every morning. 
  7. Wisdom can come from the unexpected. 
  8. Save for retirement, but don't beat yourself up if today gets in the way.
  9. Marry someone who you adore and who adores you!!!!!
  10. I have so much more to learn.

It seems I've only begun; my life and this list. How about you? Do you have a top ten list? Maybe more than ten? Less than ten? What significant thing have you learned thus far in your life?
CLPCS

19 comments:

  1. Happy, happy Birthday!!! It looks like you had a fabulous day! And I love your gum boots. We need them here in Newfoundland too, it has been raining so much lately. I especially like the tenth item on your list, that is where I'm at, truly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, 50s lady. I turned 50 a while ago (actually a long while ago) I still feel at least 50, or younger.
    That's a great list. Some of those I would re-word a bit for me, but good ideas.
    Love your choice in boots. We need something like that in Saskatchewan this year. Even in the cities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY GIRL!!!
    No Kiddin. Those discounts are great!
    What I have learned? Sex is great after 40. lol
    Other than that all I learned is that I know nothing of what there is to know and more to learn every day.
    A thirst for knowledge is a healthy thing. We watched the girls semi final soccer game in Germany USA vs Japan. Right now they are in shoot outs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! You young whippersnapper! If age were a race I'd be winning. I don't even have to ask for a senior discount anymore.
    Sounds like you've learned some pretty important stuff in your years so far.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday!! Your celebration sounds wonderful and I love your list of what you have learned. I think the most important one is that you still have so much to learn! As long as you're open to new experiences and still learning, you'll always be young in spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carol .. congratulations and so pleased you had such a fun time - those sort of 'moochy' be together days are just wonderful.

    Happiness is family and friends, good wine, some food and gumboots - by the look of it .. love the pics .. and seeing you both ..

    Here's to many more to you both .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all so much for the birthday wishes. It was a lovely day from start to finish.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some stylin' boots, definitely. They'll do well to brighten a rainy day ... Happy Birthday to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday!!!

    I love your gumboots! You be stylin'. :-)

    Those are some great lessons learned so far. I'm still learning too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a bit late, but Happy Birthday!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed your special day. I LOVE the gumboots. :D

    I like the idea of making a list of things you've learned, I think I am going to try that as well. Wonderful list.

    Happy Birthday again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The name of your blog is so nice. At this point in my life I need something like it. I would like to follow you now:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like you had a terrific birthday, wishing you many more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday! I know I'm late but as I love birthdays I prefer to wish it later than never. Looks like you had a lovely party.
    In 30 years I learned:

    I have all my life to learn
    Don't let anybody tell you what's best for you, listen to your heart instead
    Tell people you love them

    Surely more but these are the 1st ones to come.
    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for reading my blog. I would like to follow yours but I do not see the app for how to follow.
    I have had some incidents of forgetfulness and have been worried. I am sorry that I did not wish you blessings for your birthday. May all your dreams come true. May you stay healthy and fir
    (body and mind) Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am not able to see the app where I indicate that I would like to follow you.
    Happy birthday. Sorry for late wishes. Me and my scatter brains. May all your wishes come true:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Munir. On the right column of my blog, underneath the welcome paragraph, you'll find a blue icon that says join this site. Click on that and follow the directions to become a follower. Hope that works. Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. By reading your list of what you have learnt up to 55yrs, I beleive you are a wise lady. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's important to spend time in prayer and in God's Word each day.

    Pay credit cards off in full each month.

    This are my top two.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A lot of wisdome in that list....glad I found you through Pause On the Path!! :-)

    ReplyDelete