Grounded

Grounded

Saturday, October 29, 2011

106th Post - Reminder

This week came complete with tragedy, conflict, teenage angst, and generally all the mayhem that is part of life at a middle school. 

It must be noted that there is much more positive than negative amongst the teens and soon-to-be teens at our school. They seek out help when they need it. Even the most marginalized look out for each other. They are creative, fun, joyful and have an abundance of ...
 E N E R G Y !

In addition to my work as school counsellor, I co-lead our school choir with a very talented French Immersion teacher. This year's group is no less fabulous than previous choirs. 

"Everything I needed to learn I learned in choir!"

I rushed into practice late (don't ask) and since we're on a time crunch to learn a couple of songs for Remembrance Day, I was more than a little frazzled. Nothing like music to calm this savage beast!

Amazingly in one rehearsal these talented young people learned a  new song complete with two parts, and are well on their way to learning another. This week was a case of the students extending the joy of music to the teacher. Talk about music therapy! Thirty minutes of leading this group restored balance and peace to my heart. I was able to carry on with some of the more difficult tasks of the day with a greater perspective of goodness and hope! 

My lesson was (again); we all bring good to each other; age, experience, level of education aside, we are connected at a human level and we need each other. This week our choir gave me much more than I gave them. They gave me renewal! 

If you have time, take a listen to one of our songs. This version is  not our choir, nor is it really a choir song, but the message is important and to hear our kids sing this, brought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye.


The goodness, the worth, the hope continue to be greater than the sorrow, the tragedy and the angst. It took music and a choir full of students to remind me. 

What reminded you of goodness and hope this week?
CLPCS

8 comments:

  1. the goodness and hope lies in my family who I love and who hopefully love me.
    We look at the world and try to teach for the better good in any way we can be seen to reach them.
    We fight for life every day. We fight for good will to be shown to those grieving.We fight for balance for joy for wisdom for health.
    Life is about fighting I guess. It never ends.lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing choir you have! I would love to hear it some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome choir.

    Love the post .Love your blog .

    Following you .

    Follow back :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story and choir you have. :)

    I know this is silly - but my husband fixed my computer this am after three weeks of me going crazy!

    Glad you liked the cupcakes.

    Would you send me your email? Mine is skcz at comcast. dot net

    thanks
    Have a boo-ti-ful day.
    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful song! That's the first time I heard it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice-- And high Five to you for surviving the teenage years with middle schoolers. That is not easy.

    Goodness and hope in my world??? My special needs godson told me he loved me AND he looked me in the eyes when he said it. That's not only a good week, it's a great one!

    xo jj

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have often wondered about what John the Baptist meant when he said " He will baptise you with the Holy Spirit and with fire."
    If the Holy Spirit is likened to water and water puts fire out then I suppose we can say that the fire within us that is burning in our very souls will be quenched by the Holy Spirit that Jesus bestows on us. This song made me think of that particular verse in Matthew 3 (Verse 11).
    Thanks for this post, it brought a tear to my eye when reading all the comments.
    God bless you and may He give you joy in the presence of his teenage children, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Geoff: Perhaps Holy Spirit as wind that fans the flames?

    ReplyDelete