Grounded

Grounded

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

130th Post - Random

It's been a while since I've posted anything meaty. I've been a sluggish blogger, choosing to settle with links and videos and the occasional book recommendation. I can't believe it's come to this. Many thoughts have come to mind, hovered, and floated away. I keep meaning to grab them and blog. Ah, the best intentions of Carol.

To get back on track I've decided to list some of the randomness that has occupied my blogging brain. Here goes, in no particular order:

  1. I started on Pinterest - can you spell addiction?
  2. Changed my header picture to something less wintry. No, it's not spring yet, but I just couldn't wait. FYI the picture is of a bench overlooking the North Sea in Scotland. R E L A X I N G.
  3. I'm thinking of giving up wine for Lent? How long is Lent? It starts today, right?
  4. Does anyone else in the evangelical tradition notice that Lent has become a big thing? It was certainly never practiced when I was growing up in the Baptist church, nor was it mentioned during my days in the Alliance. Why the sudden interest? Is it a craving for liturgy in otherwise non liturgical churches? Just wondering.
  5. My good son and his new wife hid a whole dog; Betty the Pug, from me, their landlord. I knew they had Pugsley, and last weekend I very generously gave my consent to let Betty move in. Unbeknownst to me, they've had Betty all along and cleverly hid her whenever I came to visit. Sneaky kids. Me thinks this 'good child' may no longer be the good child!
  6. I am troubled and frustrated with the negotiations between my union and our government. I do not understand why we are still negotiating in the same manner we did thirty plus years ago. Blame/confront/legislate, often with a withdrawal of services somewhere in the middle. Certainly there must be a more enlightened way to do this thing. I hope the next generation of teachers does it better than us dinosaurs have/are doing. 
  7. We're still trying to sell our apartment. It's been almost a year. Lots of showings and a couple of low offers. We're selling in preparation for our eventual move back to the Okanagan. In the mean time we'll rent something closer to where both of us work.

The guilty pair with my grand dogs, Betty and Pugsley.

That's about it for now. This feels more like an update to friends than anything I ever thought this blog would be about. It's kind of nice. 

Enjoy your day my friends,







What is Lent? 

For some Christians, Lent has always been a part of their spiritual life, but for others it is unfamiliar. Lent is a season leading up to Easter, a time when Christians have historically prepared their hearts for Easter with reflection, repentance, and prayer. Lent begins with Ash Wednesday and proceeds for forty days, excluding Sundays, and culminating with Good Friday and Holy Saturday. Since Sundays are weekly celebrations of the resurrection of Jesus, the six Sundays in Lent are not counted as part of the forty-day season, which focuses on introspection, self examination, and repentance. Many Christians choose to celebrate a fast throughout the season of Lent, but the focus is not on depriving themselves of something as much as it is on devoting themselves to God and his purposes in the world. 

Lent is an important season of the church year. The church year is an excellent way to help focus our attention on God with the way we organize our time. Rather than following the solar calendarÕs more familiar structure, organized by the rhythms of nature, the church calendar is organized around God and his activity in the world. The church calendar follows six seasons of varying length: Advent, Christmas, Epiphany, Lent, Easter, and Pentecost. Each of these seasons have different focuses: Advent focuses on the anticipation of GodÕs coming into the world, both in the incarnation and in ChristÕs return. Christmas focuses on the birth of Christ. Epiphany focuses on the light of GodÕs presence shining in the world. Lent focuses on human sin and GodÕs gracious solution. Easter focuses on resurrection life. Pentecost focuses on the ongoing activity of the Holy Spirit in the world. The annual rhythm of these seasons can have a powerful effect on personal and communal spiritual growth.

7 comments:

  1. I love the new header picture. It is beautiful. My family and I celebrate lent too. I think most people celebrate it more publicly, because somehow it is a lot cooler to pretend to be a religious person. Especially since most people think that the world is going to end.

    I hope you get things sorted out with the union. You sound pretty stressed.

    Good Luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great update, Carol! It does have a nice feel! And I love your new picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to read your latest, and random, post. Random is good. Really.

    Love the picture of the North Sea. And of "those people" with their dogs. Sigh. What next?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the random post, it is a great way to update.
    And the bench on the beach... divine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your new header - and I just joined Pinterest too. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been a very sluggish blogger too, glad I'm not the only one. I LOVE your new header picture, how gorgeous. I've always wanted to visit Scotland. I cracked up about the dogs LOL. Very cute picture!

    I keep hearing about Pinterest and haven't tried it yet. I want to, but I'm a little afraid of ending up with yet another addiction. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your new header. My ancestors on my mother's side are Scottish so I've always wanted to visit.
    I've been hearing about Pinterest but I have NO IDEA what it is! I need to find out... Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete