Grounded

Grounded

Saturday, November 3, 2012

145th Post - Catching Up

T'was a busy week, this week of Halloween 2012.

 Busy,
   fun, 
    spectacular,
      with a dash of crisis. 

First the crisis. On Tuesday, my dear mother Irmgard was rushed to hospital via ambulance due to severe chest pains. Upon receiving the text message, I left school and headed to the hospital. Her tests were completed with astonishing speed. Then we waited to hear the results. Inconclusive. Now, poor dear Irmgard will be subjected to more tests until the cause of the pain can be detected. Thankfully, mom lives with brother Len and his family, so has many eyes on her, allowing me to rest a bit more easily. 

The busy was doubling up library classes to accommodate teachers and prep time. Yikes, 45+ kids in a library, exchanging books - yes, at the same time!  WHAT was I thinking?

The fun was the annual Halloween parade. Over three hundred students paraded in and out of classrooms strutting their Ghoulish finery. Monster Mash, Adam's Family, Purple People Eater were only a sampling of the tunes blasted over the PA, adding to the festivity. It was a good thirty minutes of delightful joy!




 This year I dressed as a nun.
 Apparently few children know what a nun looks like, let alone does.
 I was called a range of things, from Mother Teresa to Captain Fantastic.
 Reflecting on the day still gives me a giggle. 





Sounds good so far, eh? Oh but there is more...
The spectacular was seeing Barbra Streisand live, herself, in concert at Roger's arena in Vancouver. Oh my!

Babs has still got it. By far the biggest thrill of the night was when she came out on stage. Just being in the same room was her was worth the price of admission. Everything after that was bonus.


Excited to connect with  friends!
Waiting for the show to begin.
                   
So there you have it. A week to remember.

What were the highlights/low lights of your week?




7 comments:

  1. I hope that your mother is well on the road to recovery and that the cause of her pain was not as serious as it sounds. It's always a worry. I'm so glad she has so many loving family members keeping an eye on her.

    I lOVE your Halloween costume!! How interesting that nuns in habit are so rare now that children don't know what they are. Your picture took me back in time to the Halloween when my brother grabbed the nun's habit costume I had used the year before and put it on. His first stop on the trick or treat route was the local convent where the nuns, having no idea who he was (the school rascal), made a big fuss over him and gave him lots and lots of candy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr Kathy - you brother indeed sounds like a little rascal! What a clever way to get lots of candy.
      My mom is settled at home. Thanks for caring.

      Delete
  2. Your Mom is a good Mom and she is very lucky to have Lennard (and Maria) by her side. He is a very loving caring son and a good man.How can he not be with such a loving Mother?
    Irmgard has a lot to be proud of where her family is concerned. May God bless her always.xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lady - I'll pass along your comment to my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. You look like a great Nun ;))
    I think I only saw a few still dressing like this in like 30 years. lol
    Do you remember Sally Field in the Flying Nun?
    I liked watching that program. Too bad they dont play it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carol .. I do hope your mother is feeling better and the hospital can sort out how she can be helped.

    Your school life - sounds chaotic - but enormous fun .. and then you have that wonderful reward at the end of the frantic week ...

    It does sound like it was a busy one .. and I love the nun - great idea .. Mother Theresa to Captain Fantastic .. amazing!! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to know your mom seems to be OK, tough the misadventure proved to provide challenging results for you at work.

    As for the Hallowe'en costume, Carol, I'll have none of it. Or nun of it. Or, . . . whatever.

    ReplyDelete